Local mail server configuration is reasonably correct. The HELO domain
setting is a valid FQDN and looking up that FQDN gives the IP address of
the mail server.

I deliver mail from other users to Yahoo (no one else on my server sends
email to this particular user's place of business) without problem.

I'm just looking for a way to prove that the mail isn't simply vanishing
into thin air on *my* server - once I can confirm it successfully left
my server, then I can start worrying about what happens to it on the
remote server.