On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Fabian Cenedese wrote:

> >I think this (and many of the patches you sent) it is just *your* problems
> >with a broken compiler. The Standard define non-local non-initialized
> >object to be pre-initialized with zero.
>
> Where is this standard written? I don't know of neither msvc or gcc to
> initialize variables with zero, at least not in release builds. We already
> had quite some errors in other projects (built with gcc) that eventually
> came from not initialized variables that contained garbage.
> So I don't consider resetting variables after creation a bad thing. If
> these were needed in these patches I don't know.

It is called ANSI C99 (*The* C Standard), Section 6.7.8 bullet 10:

http://tinyurl.com/2cmfvj

Can't find a free online copy of WG21 (C++) but trust me, it says *the
same* thing.
Did you even *try* with GCC? It does and it always did.
Also, the above does *not* apply to local (stack) variables, like I wrote
in "The Standard define non-local non-initialized ...".
I think, you are confused with variables *allocated* with malloc/new, or
with local/stack variables. Those are different beasts, and the patch was
not above those (and XMail already zero malloced data).