OK, just to add to my confusion, here is part of what is going on - this
server also provides the authoritative DNS for trikorausa.com (but not
local DNS queries or caching!).  It does not provide any other services
for trikorausa.com (no email etc.) - the records point to an outside
address.  If I do a "dig @an-external-dns-server trikorausa.com +trace"
I still get a "dig: Too many lookups" error. Does that make sense - is
it looping?  It seems like it should work - the external primary DNS
knows the server doing the dig provides the authoritative DNS, shouldn't
it simply trace back to it and stop?  Essentially the server is simply
doing a trace from an external DNS server back to itself.  If I do a dig
using ANY dns server from the server that provides the authoritative DNS
for this domain I get the same result.  As Davide reported if I do a dig
to trikorausa.com from an outside line the trace is fine and does not fail.

Also I don't know what the story is with the other domains - I only have
client reports at this point about unexpected failures.  Also, three
weeks ago I was able to send email to trikorausa.com without the
"nxdomain" error.

Jeff