I should also clarify, as you mention users, that none of this has
anything to do with users on a LAN.  This is a hosting server providing
web services and email, along with some other functionality.  The issue
at question is how this particular server sees domains that are external
to it.  It has no way of knowing about yahoo.com or hotmail.com without
a name server that provides recursive lookups, so I have assigned it a
name server that does.  It just so happens that in the case of this one
domain (trikorausa.com) this server provides the authoritative DNS (A
records, MX records, etc.).  There is no way (that I know about) for me
to have it query itself just for domains it knows about, then query
external dns for everything else.

Thanks again,
Jeff