> > after few years I'm returning to world of XMail server. I'm trying
> > setup new mail server on x64 edition of Windows Server 2008 R2
(there is
> > no 32-bit edition and all future server versions are going to be
64-bit
> > only).
>
> Yes, but they'll still support 32on64, no?

Until further notice yes. I suppose they'll drop the support eventually
(like 16->32 bit), but it would take many years, since there are lots of
32-bit apps floating around.

> Thing is, a 64bit binary will use a lot more memory than a 32bit one,
> mainly because all pointers are double the size. If an application
does
> not need a VM space bigger than 2GB (and XMail doesn't, unless you're
> handling yahoo.com with a singel machine), it's better off using a
32bit
> binary.
> I will try to look into building a 64bit eventually ...

As I wrote before, I'm managed code guy, so I don't have much knowledge
about if it makes sense, do it's up to you. The "common sense" says
that's good to run app in native architecture, but it's probably no big
deal.

--
Altair