What, exactly, is the problem?  How do you want Dovecot and XMail to work
together?

I am setting up Dovecot to read from standard Maildirs in user home
directories, because I am using a separate delivery agent (TMDA but would work
for maildrop, Dovecot's deliver program and others) to deliver mails using
mailproc.tab.  So, even while XMail runs as root, Dovecot need not and there is
no problem getting it to work just like with other MTAs.  XMail can't help with
delivery to Maildir because it runs as root, and unless you mess about with
packet filters to non-root it you'll still end up using for instance XACLs to
allow Dovecot to read the mails.

For authentication of XMail to Dovecot you would have to write external
authentication helpers that use Dovecot's protocol.  Or, you can use
checkpassword or PAM-POP3 or something else to try getting Dovecot to
authenticate against the active XMail list of users.  Or you can just do what I
do, maintain two databases and keep them in sync.

Cheers,
Sabahattin