Can anyone point me to the right areas that I need to understand to
get the job done?

I need to accomplish this:

#1 have a local machine act as a smtp to receive emails from 1 email
account. (the emails that are received locally will be from wordpress,
and an addon?
All other emails sent will come from the main mail server.
#2 have pop3 for that single email account
#3 do a MANUAL retrieval and sending of emails via command line.

if anyone sends an email (via wordpress) to the user via the local
server (where the smtp server is located), the user can pick it up via
pop3.
all other emails that are received or sent, will happen when a MANUAL
retrieval is done...

can anyone point me to the right direction on how to accomplish these tasks?