Where does xmail get the ip address for a domain name?

I run my own home xmail server (on pclinuxos) and a forwarding only named on a home server machine. It uses my personal domain name.

At work I also run an xmail server (on centos) using my company's domain name (different from my personal domain name.)

Few days ago the IP address for the work server has changed. Now my home xmail server can't deliver email an account on the work server. It seems xmail on the home machine resolves the company's domain name to its old ip address. I verified this by looking at the outgoing traffic from that machine.

However, on the same machine running various dns tools (host,nslookup,dig) all correctly show the new address for the work mail server. Also I can connect to it using telnet. However the mail server tries to connect to the old address.

I finally gave up on finding where the problem is and set up an iptables rule to modify outgoing traffic to the old address to go to the new address, and voila the home mail server now connects to the work mail server and works.

As a reference the iptables rule on the home mail server machine looks like this:

iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -d <work mail server old ip address> -j DNAT --to <work mail server new ip address>

Again, on the home server machine (where the confused xmail server runs)
dig <workdomain.com> mx
returns correctly return <amil.workdomain.com> and
dig <mail.workdomain.com>
correctly returns the new ip address.