After playing with this for a while, here are my findings for anyone interested.

Everything that I've tried to play works fine, sounds good and is more-than-playable.
Most stuff works just dandy with the -ef 1 parameter; some of the heavy-duty games
need the -bufsize 4 to avoid any noticeable choppiness in the sound.  I have bufsize 2
set in my xmamerc file which works for pretty much everything.  The best quality for
everything is, of course, no video effects.  Everything that I've tried is pretty-much
perfect that way.

Installing my Microsoft Sidewinder joystick under RedHat 7.2 is the same as RedHat 7.1.

I still can't get the game window to close properly.  As described before, hitting ESC
freezes the game; closing the window with the mouse sometimes works and sometimes
gives me an error message in the termnal window where it hangs until I hit ctrl-c.
(The game window goes away, but the command prompt in the terminal doesn't come back
until I hit ctrl-c.)

Unfortunately, this makes gRustibus pretty much unusable.  If I allow it to minimize
while a game is loaded (gRustibus default setting) then it won't un-minimize when I
exit the game until I open a terminal window and "killall mame"

This is on a new MSI 845 Pro motherboard with a Pentium 4/1.4GHz CPU and 256mb of ram,
using the built-in soundchip and gameport.