On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 10:48:02AM -0400, Simon Roby wrote:

> Why not just asking the mamedevs to scrap all C++ style comments in the
> mame source code once and for all? Isn't the use of C++ style comments
> in C code a violation of ISO C standards? Besides, unless they DON'T
> WANT mame to be as portable as possible, I don't see why this has to stay.

They violate the C89 standard, but they're part of the C99 standard, which
I believe the MAME team is eventually moving toward.  They're kind enough
to accept patches that fix C89 violations such as variable declarations in
the middle of code, but I don't know how reasonable it'd be to demand
changing all the comments.  It may be received as well as a request
to change everything to K&R pre-ISO/ANSI style.  :-)