After our recent discussion and after digging into the sources some more
it turns out that most of the infrastructure was already in place since
2000!

I converted the oss mixer to a dynamic module (and loaded it at
runtime). The loader detects incompatible/invalid modules so versioning
is definately a non-issue (in case anyone is worried).

The "conversion" is just the addition of a macro and include for
config.h so it is fairly trivial to convert all mixer and dsp plugins to
dynamic modules. This is assuming that they don't use any (non-macro,
non-static inline) functions from xmame.

Of course, there is still a lot of work to be done to integrate it
smoothly with the rest of the sources and make the installation easier.

The main problem is the build process. I dropped autoconf etc in the
sysdep directory and the modules are built with libtool (with an
--enable switch for each one). They will only be needed to build the
plugins. The autotools generated files can be distributed with the
sources so it is not a big issue (the increase in size won't even be
noticeable :) ).  Will it be a problem to have a dependency on libtool,
autoconf and automake?

I am also having problems integrating it with the main makefile so that
if the user selects dynamic plugins the static ones are not build. It is
also possible to have both. Any suggestions?

Nicos