I have xmame running on an arcade cabinet that I built. The coin door of course is hooked up via keyboard interface into the keyboard port, so a coin input event will trigger a "5" key, just like it was typed on a keyboard. That's all well and good...

So then let's say I want to have another program trigger a coin event on the current xmame window. I figured the best way to do so programmatically would be by using xvkbd to send keyboard events to windows in X. The weird thing is that it works on any window at all *besides* xmame. For some reason xmame won't accept the keyboard event from xvkbd.

Basically, I'm trying to set up a smartcard system. The smartcard reader is hooked up on a USB port, and I want to have a little daemon running that responds to smartcard events. When a smartcard is put in the reader, deduct a certain amount of credits, but then I need to transmit a "5" keyboard character to the xmame window currently up.

Anyone else doing anything like this? Anyone know why xvkbd events don't work only with xmame? Is there some super-secret protocol for communicating with a running xmame? That'd be sweet if there were some simple protocol over some admin port used by xmame.

Thanks!
-Mike

--
Michael J. Sherman