The problem probably is that you're running a game with mono audio and your onboard soundcrap eh soundcard only does stereo.

With a recent alsalibs and no .asoundrc alsa-lib should automaticly emulate mono on stereo only cards.

Take a look if you've got a recent alsalibs (1.0.6) and remove (backup)
~/.asoundrc and /etc/asoundrc

Regards,

Hans

Ole Andre Schistad wrote:
Hello all, first post to the list.

Thanks for a cool piece of software, much appreciated folks :)

Since nobody seems to have run into the problem previously (well, nobody's posted on the mailinglist anyway), this is probably a local problem and not a bug.

So far, I've been unable to get sound working with xmame using the native Alsa driver. I suspect that the root cause is a lack of channel information - when launching xmame, I get an error from the Alsa subsys saying "Alsa error: channels count non available", and complete silence.

I'm hoping that someone can give me a pointer for where to look - I am rather reluctant to mess with my current install of the Alsa drivers since it took me quite a while to find a working combination of kernel version & alsa sources. I run kernel 2.6.3 (I can't use 2.4.X because the v4l tools that allow reprogramming of IR remotes only work in 2.6), and had to import an old set of alsa drivers to get sound working at all. To further mess things up, my Matrox G450 card was also a nightmare to set up, so I'm very reluctant to migrate to a newer kernel and go through that whole snafu again.

At the moment, I have working sound in all my other apps. For mplayer (this is a PVR box) I use -alsa:spdif so that I can use the optical SPDIF port on my nforce2 mb. For xmame I've used the parameter "-dp alsa -apcm spdif" to try and achieve the same effect, but I've also tried other permutations with no effect.

I haven't yet tested this using the OSS emulation layer in Alsa, but I will if that's a plausible fix. I am however under the impression that xmame *ought* to work well with Alsa, and that it defaults to these drivers when possible.

Anyway, hope someone has a tip and feel free to ask for more info.

Regards,

Ole Andre

-- EuropeSwPatentFree http://EuropeSwPatentFree.hispalinux.es