On Oct 14, 2004, at 3:12 PM, Hans de Goede wrote:

Well, xmame by default is a cpu-hog, as it busy waits when idle untill the time is there to render the next frame. This because calling sleep when idle results in jittery behaviour, but this seems like a kernel problem to me, the scheduler should give xmame a real low priority, exactly because it is such a cpu hog, maybe the user is running xmame with a RT priority using nice?

Otherwise this is a kernel bug. You could try reproducing it by writing a simple program which just calls gettimeofday in an endless loop, which is what xmame does when "idling".

Just in case you weren't aware, xmame supports "-sleepidle", which with the now-default Barath frameskipper seems to work quite well. At least, that was the case the last time I tried it.