Doug Mandell wrote:
I'm using Xmame with MythTV, so I've got the machine hooked up to my
television via tv out (using an NVIDIA graphics card with the 6111
driver).  In order to make the television video look normal I've got
overscan set to 0.979 and then have the GUI on MythTV shrunk down so
that it isn't off screen.

The problem is that after running Xmame with "-x11 1" and quitting out
it looks like the overscan value for X gets reset.  This isn't just a
MythTV problem, if I run Xmame the same way outside of  MythTV the
overscan is also reset.  I can't tell you for sure what value overscan
is reset to, it looks like it might be 0.5, as I can see a a small black
border all the way around the desktop, which isn't the case when it's
set to .6 or higher.

I've tried using "-x11 3", but the problem there is that this
particular  fullscreen mode respects the overscan settings, i.e. the
edges of the game end up off the screen, so it's not really usable for
game playing (though it might not reset overscan... since it didn't
properly display games I didn't really care whether or not it worked
properly afterwards).

I've not found anyone complaining about this, so I'm not sure whether
it's the video card or people don't often use TV-Out when using
Xmame... anyhow I was hoping you might have some suggestions on how to
solve this problem, I tried emailing Lawrence Gold but he didn't have
any insights.  Any hints you might be able to provide would be a great
help.

Thanks for your time,

Doug

Erm,

-x11-mode 1 means your using DGA, dga can (and most of the time will) switch video modes, if you're using XFree4.x or xorg it will use any videomode your X-server can handle on your monitor independent of what is defined in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (This is how X reports things, not how xmame handles things)

Once xmame exits it asks the X-server to restore your default videomode, I don't know how you set this "overscan" value, but I guess it gets reset by X when xmame asks X to restore the default mode. You could try putting this overscan value in your x-config as part of the default mode.

You could also try to lett xmame restore the last mode instead of asking X to restore the default mode, todo this enable TDFX_DGA_WORKAROUND = 1
in your makefile and recompile (you only need to delete the xmame.obj/unix.x11 dir, no need todo a full make clean)

Regards,

Hans