On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:16:54 +0100
Hans de Goede <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Between 0.86 and 0.87 you say, then I think I've got it narrowed down,
> 0.87 and later use perfect-yuv blitting by default, could you try 0.89
> with -noperfect-yuv

That's it!  Adding perfect-yuv 0 to the xmamerc on both of these computers
seems to have fixed the problem.  I can see Popeye and Columns 97 now.

This may be a problem common to the integrated video on Intel
motherboards.  I just tried xmame on another machine that also has an
Intel motherboard (a 3.2GHz Pentium 4 so it's newer than my machines) and
it exhibited the same behaviour.

Perhaps we should add a note about this to the xmame documentation.

"If you are using xv mode and the screen or window just goes black (and X
may lock up if you are using full-screen mode) with certain games, try
adding -noperfect-yuv to your xmame commandline, or perfect-yuv 0 to your
xmamerc file."

Thank you ever so much for your help.  I sincerely appreciate it.

What is "perfect yuv", anyway?