I remember a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away xmame used to
support .gz compression.  Somewhere along the way this got removed,
however I think it would be a beneficial feature mainly for the xmess
side of things.  Many disk images and carts, and so forth are
compressed with gz since they are only 1 file.  So it should be
possible to have something like:  xmess.x11 apple2e -flop
coolgame.dsk.gz where xmess will read the bios ROMs which are stored
in zip format as well as read coolgame.dsk which is compressed with
.gz.

Does anyone remember which versions of xmame supported .gz
compression? And/Or how difficult it would be to re-add this feature?

Regards,
Chris