I've been searching the archives in vain for the neat URL
posted here on the importance of strict aliasing.

As for pointer/int casts, sometimes you get lucky but it will
often blow up on you.  Play wecleman or hotchase in xmame if
you want a great example.  Truncating a 64-bit pointer to a
32-bit int and then going back to a pointer is a bad idea.

Neither of these warnings should be killing gcc compilation,
though.  You will get them in older gcc versions, too.