On Tue, 17 May 2005 00:53:13 -0700 (PDT)
"F.J. McCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Would it matter to xmame?  Unless you're trying out gcc-4.0's
> autovectorization?  I am curious to see if that would benefit
> xmame performance, esp. on newer games.

I did a bit of playing around with GCC4 the other day on another mailing
list.

Here is my post:
> I'd be really interested to see a comparison when "-Os" is used
> (optimize for smaller size code). It'd be neat to know whether GCC 4
> knows better size optimizations than GCC 3.x.

GCC 3.4.3 34114504 May 15 13:29 xmame.x11
GCC 4 28293108 May 15 13:56 xmame.x11

18% smaller executable.

> That's nice too I suppose, although I don't really think that "pacman"
> is a super-great game to use as a benchmark. ;)  One of the NeoGeo or
> similar recent games might be a better test.

NeoGeo is an old, out-dated platform too, and probably isn't the best
benchmark either if you're looking for something to hammer the hardware.

I have created four versions of xmame.x11 version 0.96.  Two compiled with
only the smaller size option, and two that I have optimized as well as I
can for performance.  The same flags and options are set for both of the
performance optimized versions, and the size optimized versions have all
flags and options set to their default values.

The performance optimized versions are as follows:

GCC 3.4.3 39711260 May 14 23:07 xmame.x11
GCC 4 38969132 May 14 19:14 xmame.x11

Pacman
------
Size optimized
GCC 3.4.3 1235% 745fps
GCC 4 1154% 703 fps
Speed optimized
GCC 3.4.3 1280% 759fps
GCC 4 1295% 795fps

NeoGeo Metal Slug 4
-------------------
Size optimized:
GCC 3.4.3 370% 225fps
GCC 4 250% 152fps
Performance optimized:
GCC 3.4.3  393% 230 fps
GCC 4 400% 270fps

Now lets hammer the hardware.

San Francisco Rush (Seattle driver) high score screen
-----------------------------------
Size optimized
GCC 3.4.3 7% 4fps
GCC 4 7% 4 fps