It's been exceedingly quiet on this list, is anyone still updating /
patching xmame ?

Nope, upstream mame has had some significant API changes causes a stop of xmame development, as tracking upstream would require almost a full rewrite of the osd code.

There is SDLmame however which works excellent on most unix systems and is fully update.

I've got a good question. SDLmame is consistently slower than xmame. I'm aware of the fact that API+code changes and driver updates and whatnot slow MAME down from release to release, but we're talking even the same version of xmame against the same version of SDLmame. Typically SDLmame is somewhere around 65-75% the speed of xmame, depending on the driver of course.

Does anyone know why this is? Has anyone noticed anything that can provide a reasonable speedup? Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I'm still trying to figure out how exactly frameskip works in SDLmame. Like, until I increase the frameskip to 5 or 6, I don't appear to actually be getting skipped frames.

Thanks in advance,
--
http://clickass.org  *  AIM: UnixGameRocker
-----GEEK CODE 3.12-----