Quoting Oliver Stöneberg <olive...@online.de>:

You are aware, that MAME supports .mng (-mngwrite) and .avi (-
aviwrite) recording in the core, right?

Yes, but have you actually tried using those features? I don't know if
mng write is fixed now, but before there was a limit to the number of frames
that could be produced and it is single threaded as far as I can tell which
would make it hard to record a quick game while you are playing. The
aviwrite feature seemed to be nice, but it produces a huge file and is
single threaded as well, it seems, so you will have the same stuttering
problem.
I have tested my patch with Carrier Airwing and it can capture the frames
at 60fps with just 2 extra threads (on my dual core Athlon) and the
framestore only fills up when F10 is pressed to turn off the throttle. If
you do a search for "aviwrite compressor" you will find a thread on
mameworld where one poster complains that "Mame remains dead for video
collections" and yet I have quite a few gigs worth of full replays
sitting on my hard drive.
The reason why this reply is a bit long is because I did quite a bit of
research before I started to write the framesaver and when I ended up with
the frames for a Salamander replay, that is 2h 17m, and the total size of
the png files was only about 8 Gigs, then I knew it was better than trying
to fight with aviwrite to produce the video.
I also have a multiprocessor aware frame re-scaler that I wrote which can
handle the png's a lot better than it would an avi file.
Thank you for your response.

Michael.