On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 19:06 +0200, Daniel Veillard wrote:
[...]
> XQuery doesn't make that much sense when playing with a single document,

There are several implementations of XQuery that work on a single
document and that people say are useful.

> my feeling is that it's more fit for a set/database of documents,
> i.e. libxml2 might be used to implement an XQuery engine on top of
> some database but just for within libxml2 it's not worth it.

As it stands today I don't know how good a fit libxml would be --
for XPath 2, nodes are typed, so you'd wanting to make some changes.
Certainly you could use libxml's XMLReader API to build data model
instances, though, and/or tie in to the W3C XML Schema validation.

dbxml (which uses Quilla) is a viable alternative for many people,
and the FLWOR Foundation is funding another, both in C++.  If you
are doing work in KDE, there's also an implementation from TrollTech
(Nokia now).

Liam