On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 12:09:19AM +0300, Roumen Petrov wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 12:26:27AM +0300, Roumen Petrov wrote:
> >>Matthias Jung wrote:
> >>[SNIP]

> >>May be is time project to upgrade libtool to 2.+ version where
> >>exist  flag with_gnu_ld.
> >
> >  Argh, maybe that's the problem, any suggestion on how to best do this ?
>
> The last libtool stable:
> - 2.2.6a (actually 2.2.6 but maintenance issue with tarbal and
> updated archive is with 2.2.6a in name);
> - 1.5.26 - the last pre 2x that end 1x versions.
>

> Next of mail is a brief list of steps to switch a project to 2.x
> version (We has to check what is really required for libxml2).
>
> 1)
> Before 2.x version libtool team advise libtool.m4 file to be
> included in acinclude.m4. This was problem when a project/user try
> to user more recent libtool version but didn't upgrade acinclude
> file.
> For 2x series libtool team advise project to use AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR
> For reference see libtool macro LT_OUTPUT as example:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/LT_005fINIT.html#index-LT_005fOUTPUT-113
>
> So this is first step to remove libtool.m4 form acinclude.m4 if
> applicable to project and to add AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4]) to
> configure script. Command libtoolize (2+) will install into
> specified directory libtool m4-files.
>

> 2)
> libtool 2.x provide backward compatible macros (sounds good). May be
> current repository provide stable backward compatibility for all
> projects. Obsolete macros are listed in lt~obsolete.m4. Also see
> comment in file.
>
> To ensure more user friendly switch to 2.x version I would like to
> suggest switch to new macros from 2x series: LT_INIT and etc.
> instead to  use backward compatible macros. The sample configure
> script that will work with 1.x and 2.x versions:
> dnl Add libtool support.
> m4_ifdef(
>   [LT_INIT],
>   [
>     LT_INIT([win32-dll])
>     LT_LANG([Windows Resource])
>     LT_CONFIG_LTDL_DIR([libltdl])
>     LTDL_INIT
>     # The lt_dladvise_init symbol was added in libtool-2.2
>     if test "x$with_included_ltdl" != "xyes"; then
>       save_CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS"
>       save_LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS"
>       CPPFLAGS="$CFLAGS $LTDLINCL"
>       LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS $LIBLTDL"
>       AC_CHECK_LIB([ltdl], [lt_dladvise_init],
>         [],
>         [AC_MSG_ERROR([installed libltdl is too old])])
>       LDFLAGS="$save_LDFLAGS"
>       CPPFLAGS="$save_CPPFLAGS"
>     fi
>   ],
>   [
>     AC_WITH_LTDL
>     AC_LIBLTDL_CONVENIENCE
>     AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
>     AC_LIBTOOL_RC
>     AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
> [...]

  Hum, that's an old thread but I think still relevant.
I tried to update some of the configure and auto* files, with
the idea that due to the coming new zlib release, a new release would
be needed this week.
I'm not sure how much we need to change for libtool, right now in my git
checkout I see in 'libtool':

# Which release of libtool.m4 was used?
macro_version=2.2.6b
macro_revision=1.3017

so somehow it seems we upgrated but maybe some of the steps you outlined
need to be put in place. I don't check with win32 myself be it native or
mingw so maybe you can have a look, and possibly provide an additional patch
if you find problems,

  thanks !

Daniel

dan...@veillard.com  | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/