> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#NT-document
>
> [1]     document       ::=       prolog  element  Misc*

Also, I should argue in terms of the spec: Misc is defined as a combination of
comments, processing instructions and/or whitespace.  AFAIK, It does not say
anything about the end of file.

So in other words, libxml is assuming an additional restriction that it must
receive an EOF coinciding with the end of the document.  However, EOF is just
one possible delimiter.  As far as I'm concerned, it would be acceptable to
mark the first non-Misc character as the end of the document and complete
parsing without raising a hissy fit.  The specification only defines what goes
into a 'document', I'm not aware of any specification that warning/error
handling must be triggered if anything follows the document other than an EOF.

-Ethan