Thomas Gagne schrieb am 06.01.2012 um 11:47 (-0500):
> I'm unclear how I can reformat the file
>
>    tgagne@ubuntu:~/tmp$ cat a.xml
>    <ns:a>
>    </ns:a>
>
> without getting the errors
>
>    tgagne@ubuntu:~/tmp$ xmllint --format --recover a.xml
>    a.xml:1: namespace error : Namespace prefix ns on a is not defined
>    <ns:a>
>          ^
>
> Is it a problem with xmllint or libxml2?

These days most would say it's a problem with your XML, which is not
namespace-valid.

Then, my copy of xmllint (Windows, 20707) reformats the doc alright, it
just also emits the warning you're seeing and, significantly, drops the
part of the name before the colon.

You'd need a parser configuration that has namespaces switched off. That
should be available as "xmllint --sax1" (the old SAX 1 didn't know about
namespaces), but even then xmllint emits the warning and drops the part
before the colon, which I think is a bug.

--
Michael Ludwig