The below appears to conform to the meaning of the AIP doc vor xmlNewDtd
    dtd2 = xmlNewDtd(xml_doc3,"HTML","
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd","-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
Strict//EN");
However when the document is dumped it yeilds
   <?xml version="1.0"?>
   <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";
"-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN">

Which has the external and system in the wrong order. If I try and end run
around and revers the external and system args the xmlNewDtd fails.

So is this a bug, does it matter, or what am I doing wrong?

Function: xmlNewDtd

xmlDtdPtr       xmlNewDtd               (xmlDocPtr doc,
                                         const xmlChar * name,
                                         const xmlChar * ExternalID,
                                         const xmlChar * SystemID)