On 2012-03-15, at 17:48, Joshua Alexander <egomagick...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I recently built libxml2 2.7.8 on OS X and now apache won't start saying
> "libphp5.so requires version 10.0.0 or later, but libxml2.2.dylib provides
> version 9.0.0"
>
> That doesn't make sense to me, so I'm curious, is what apache's saying
> accurate... or what "version" is libxml2 2.7.8 supposed to provide?

I would expect libxml2 v2.7.8 to result in libxml2.2.dylib having a
"compatibility version" of 10.0.0 and a "current version" of 10.8.0. A version
in the 9.x.y range is indicative of libxml2 v2.6.x. What the error is saying is
that the version of libphp5.so that is being loaded was compiled against
libxml2 v2.7.x but the version of libxml2.2.dylib that is being found at
runtime is from libxml2 v2.6.x. If you are on an older version of OS X (e.g.,
pre-10.6) then the error suggests that the system version of libxml2.2.dylib is
being loaded rather than your locally built copy.  If you're on OS X 10.6 or
newer then it's hard to guess where the old copy of libxml2.2.dylib is coming
from.

Hope this helps,

- Mark