Hi Alex,
thank you for the tip.
Unfortunately, while good suggestion, it is not feasible on my case because:
 - the data file is compressed (and it is large), I use only ~10% of the
data, searching in such a file is cumbersome (export to XML is precisely
the point).
 - the data file from which I extract may be gone/updated by the time the
extracted blobs are used.

I solved the problem by using a global variable that contains the URI.
This way I don't need to change the parameter passing across hundreds of
classes that don't even use it; I can use the 'extern' var directly where
needed.

Thanks again!

Best regards: Zoltán Ördögh