Hi,
not a lot of help I know, but this is all I have to offer right noww.

I think, Ubuntu does upgrades pretty well. I have upgraded from 9.x to 12.x
each release (have not tried 13.x yet) and I had only one minor problem
(with grub), so I'd like to think you can rule out the upgrade issue. But,
yes, do give it a try if you have the time - you never know.

It's the ghost in the machine :-)

Best regards: Zoltán Ördögh