On Feb 17, 2014, at 09:11 , Shlomi Fish <shlo...@shlomifish.org> wrote:

> OK, but I don't understand whether I have done something wrong in my XSLT
> stylesheet or alternatively whether it is a bug or an impedance-mismatch
> between libxml2 and libxslt. I'll try running the offending code in Perl with
> the latest git versions of libxml2 and libxslt, but I'd like to be sure. One
> of
> my problems is that I didn't quite understand the technical details and
> explanation that were discussed here (as I read the Zvon XSLT tutorial in the
> past, but have not read a more comprehensive book or a SPEC, and furthermore,
> have forgotten a lot of details).
>
> Can you enlighten me, please?

It’s a problem with you stylesheet. XSLT like this is wrong:

    <elem xml:space=“preserve">
        <xsl:attribute name=“attr”>value</xsl:attribute>
    </elem>

The problem is that there is a text node containing whitespace before the
xsl:attribute. Text nodes and element nodes are not allowed before
xsl:attribute. Normally, these whitespace nodes will be stripped. But since
there’s a parent element with xml:space=“preserve”, the whitespace will be kept
in this case. I just checked with Saxon and it also reports an error.

Nick