On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 6:10 AM Nick Wellnhofer <wellnho...@aevum.de> wrote:

> On 22/03/2021 05:21, Jeffrey Walton via xml wrote:
> > I'm working on my old PowerMac G5, powerpc-apple-darwin9.8.0. I'm
> > trying to build an updated OpenSSH. libxml2 2.9.10 is a distant
> > dependency.
>
> First of all, it's great to hear that libxml2 compiled at all and that most of
> the tests seem to pass.

Yeah, a well written library or program does not have troubles.
Libxml2 is one of those libraries.

In fact, I believe libxml2 has no troubles on Fedora 1 and Ubuntu 4. I
keep them in my test environment for regression testing a few
projects. I don't recall a problem with libxml2 on them.

> > libxml2's make check is hanging at:

> >      Testing nanoftp : 14 of 22 functions ...
> >      Testing nanohttp : 13 of 17 functions ...
> >      Testing parser : 61 of 70 functions ...
> >      <hang here>
> >
> > Does anyone have an idea what may be going sideways?
>
> That's the 'testapi' test which causes the same problem on Windows. The test
> should complete eventually. It's just incredibly slow. One possible
> explanation is that somewhere an array is reallocated every time an element is
> appended. Some Linux allocators can handle repeated reallocations in linear
> time, but in general, you have to expect quadratic behavior. I just haven't
> found the time to investigate the issue.

Thanks Nick.

'ps -A' shows it is making progress. Maybe you can add some sort of
progress indicator to avoid this [useless] noise in the future :)

Jeff