Petr, could you please elaborate more on this last claim? If turning the
dump generation into an incremental process is the task you are interested
in solving, then I don't understand how text constitutes a problem. Text
files can be appended to as any regular file and it shouldn't be difficult
to do this in a way that preserves the XML structure valid.

As I said, having the possibility to seek and inspect the files manually is
a tremendous boon when debugging your code. With what you propose that
would be possible but more complicate, since one cannot seek at a specific
position of stdout without going through the whole contents.

Best

Giovanni