On 16/01/16 02:30, Richard Farmbrough wrote:
I have problems bunzip2ing pages-articles files. WinRAR fails at 37G,
and bunzip2 fails at some point >> 14g though it "helpfully" cleans up
after itself.

Bunzip2 v 1.0.6

 >bunzip2 enwiki-20151201-pages-articles.xml.bz2

bunzip2: I/O or other error, bailing out. Possible reason follows.
bunzip2: Permission denied

Input file = enwiki-20151201-pages-articles.xml.bz2, output file =
enwiki-20151201-pages-articles.xml

bunzip2: Deleting output file enwiki-20151201-pages-articles.xml, if it
exists.

Any better tool?

a) Did you start by verifying the checksum of the downloaded file?

b) The "Permission denied" message looks like a filesystem problem, and not one of the file. What fs are you using? I would guess you did that on a directory you didn't have write access to, but then it wouldn't process 14G.

c) There are some tricks to avoid the cleanup (like using bzcat), and there's also bzip2recover, but if the original file is damaged, there's no point in attempting to recover, when a new one can be produced.

I'll check if that file uncompresses for me.

Best regards