Michael Moore wrote:
>I am concerned that standards such as the
>ebXML may support what we think of as traditional businesses but may
>not support nascent business models. How will the ability to share
>resources and information alter business structures? Will every person
>become an autonomous independent plug-compatible resource in the global
>economic machine? Sun said "The Network is the Computer" well perhaps
>"The Business Is the Network". I know that this sounds far fetched, but
>I am trying to give an indication of the types of ideas that I would
>like to know peoples thoughts on.

We (my Internet startup partners and I) agree with your concerns,
yet we are also working with ebXML.

We think the next step is that the network will become the shared
business system.  You can already see that happening with the
construction hubs:
http://www.bidcom.com
http://www.buzzsaw.com
http://www.primecontract.com
...and several others.

So it won't be like EDI, where one company's internal business
system sends a message to another company's internal business
system.  Instead, trading partners and even whole supply chains
(which Ford is constructing now) will use the same Internet
business system.

The problem (and the reason we are working with ebXML)
is that these are all proprietary systems and do not interoperate.
For example, if Ford and GM create different Internet supply chain
systems, what will Bosch do?  They sell to Ford, GM, Daimler-Chrysler,
Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc etc etc?  Construction subcontractors
are in a similar bind.

So we think standards are even more important for the Internet
business services.  We are not at all sure that ebXML will be the
correct standard, or if it will be warped by the EDI viewpoint.
But a step at a time.

>Can we build a house on a foundation that is in flux?

We have no choice.  Just make it a houseboat or an RV.

>If anybody would like to direct me to reading materials that address
>these types of subjects, or would like to write your own thoughts on
>the subject, I'd enjoy reading them.

http://www.supplychainlinks.com/REA4SCMShort.htm
http://www.supplychainlinks.com/Rea4scm.htm (long)

Have fun,