I wellcome you to the big International World Wide Web.

"Yankee prides" ?
As Seven of Nine (StarTrek) says:
" Fear is irreleveant, it is a not productive emotion.
Resistence is useless.
You will be assimilated by ... the Borg"
In this day and age it will be " assimilated by the XML-WWW"

National prides are irrelevant.
What is more at stake, is whether we will continue to use "stone age"
Edifact/X12 techonoly and terminology.
Using technologies/terminologies, proven in special Big-Business to
Big-Business communities, but not proven in very large and volotile H-H or
H-B or smal B-B communities is taking risks.
And is not taken into account fully the new possibilities of the XML-WWW
techniques.
Most terminologies used in the Edifact world, I know, are based on simple
Tag and Name/definition pairs. The model behind them is extremely simple.
The linguistic expresiveness is limited.
What is even more limited is the direct translation of Edifact constructs in
to XML. It is XML, but it stays an Edifact/X12 message in XML disguise. I
considers these no-brainer efforts.

As an example how a complete sector in society is handling its affairs I
will point at:
- CEN/TC251 http://www.centc251.org  (4 PFD files have attached
N99-40,41,42,43)
and
- HL7 http://www.hl7.org (version 3.0)

CEN is an European Standardisation organisation.
HL7 is our USA based colleague.
Both are starting co-operation to provide one complex Reference Information
Model of healthcare.
This RIM will be used to assemble messages used in Healthcare all over the
world.
One MedSpeak that is used for medical messaging.

My fear is that Healthcare will be the only sector that organised its
Terminologies and Messages in this way.

Gerard Freriks

Convenor CENTC251 WG1