David:

Many of the XML business message vocabularies use a request and response
model, so each message has a paired response, even if only an
acknowledgement like the 997 in X12.  However, this practice has evolved
over time and is not a required feature of the XML standard.

Alan Kotok
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
+1 703-518-4174