Hi,

if your task actually requires more than one hour to run, I'd strongly
recommend an asynchronous procedure, like this:

- On the server, spawn a thread, which creates a unique ID. The new thread
  starts performing the task and returns the ID to the client.
- Client starts running in a loop. Every minute or so, send a query to
the server,
  whether the thread is ready. If so, leave the loop. Otherwise, go sleeping for
  another minute.

Should be much easier to implement than taking care of all these TCP/IP and
HTTP related timeout considerations.

Jochen

--
Germanys national anthem is the most boring in the world - how telling!