Garrrrrrr!!!

Replying on list, and changing my previous message too;

On 5/23/07, David Richards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Just a note here, you need to set your IPCPATH in the script.

I would suggest probing for the two common methods FIRST.
Default to unix:///tmp/xmms-ipc-`whoami`
and then to tcp:///localhost:9667
If those fail, then prompt the user for it with a dialog and write it
out to $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/xmms2/clients/radiobar.conf or something like
that.
Don't expect users to know what they should be filling in, they just
want it to work.

What you can also do is (first or after the tcp check, doesn't matter)
check and see if XMMS_PATH is set in the environment, and try it.  If
it connects, don't
fill in whatever the value was, set a flag saying that the environment
should be an accurate value to check, because it may change in the future.

Always fallback to asking the user for the value and writing it out
for them automatically.  Finding hidden directories is not always so
easy or intuitive in certain file manager guis.

I would strongly recommend storing settings in a configuration file,
and not expecting users to edit the script file.  If they were to do
anything like open it in an editor that rewrites the file (think: line
endings) then *blammo*. They're dead in the water and your script
magically "sucks" (only because the user uses sucky software).