ZeeGeek [2007-10-07 01:17]:
> On 10/7/07, Tilman Sauerbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi guys,
> > I'm currently working on Ruby bindings for the service method stuff, and
> > I noticed something's strange.
> >
> > See eg
> >
> > http://repo.or.cz/w/xmms2-tutorial.git?a=blob;f=c/service_client/recursion.c;h=50d4af56a3e836dfb07ffec31707f5ef5f3195c6;hb=HEAD
> > as an example of a service method. atm, service methods get passed an
> > xmmsc_result_t*, that is only used to check for errors
> > (xmmsc_result_iserror, xmmsc_result_get_error) and to get the arguments
> > to the service method (xmmsc_result_get_dict_entry_...).
> > It's also used to return a value from the service method, as it is
> > passed to xmmsc_service_return().
> >
> > I believe it is *very* wrong to pass an xmmsc_result_t* there!
> > In libxmmsclient, results are used as handles to the xmmsc_blah
> > functions, all of trigger some action in the server and return some
> > data. Results can be handled sync or async, that's why
> > xmmsc_result_notifier_set is defined for *all* of them.
> >
> > This just doesn't apply to the argument to the service method. What we
> > get there isn't a common result, but some strange bastard ;)
> > It makes no sense at all to call xmmsc_result_notifier_set on it, for
> > example, or xmmsc_result_wait, or xmmsc_result_get_value.
>
> Isn't that true for all results passed to callbacks that it makes no sense
> to call xmmsc_result_notifier_set and xmmsc_result_wait in the callbacks?

Oh man, I didn't see that %)
Yes, you are right. If you're looking at the service method notifier
function as a result callback then it all adds up.

Maybe then my argument is that we've got a result callback even though I
never explicitly registered it. I need to think about this some more I
guess.

Regards,
Tilman