Sorry Thomas - I did not mean to spam your personal mbox. It's just that the the email from the list does not have a REPLYTO address that is <xmms2-devel@lists.xmms.se> So, in thuderbird client, a reply goes to the actual sender, and not the list. Probably an easy thing to fix on the list server.

JD wrote:
But none of the linux_x86 distros for the amd64 are
pure 64 bit in apps and libs. Otherwise, why would the
installaton of these create  /lib64 and /usr/lib64 in
addition to /lib and /usr/lib?

Even if it is a hack, it is "the way things are done now",
and I have built many other libs that place the libs in
/usr/lib64.

At any rate, I do not wish to start a big argument on this.

The reason why I brought it up, is because I was able to locate
a site that had the gxmms rpm. But alas, it is an i386 rpm,
and not x86_64, so it is unable to link with the libs that
are placed in /usr/lib by the xmms2 build.

So, I "tried" to build xmms2 in 32 bit mode by exporting
CFLAGS=-m32 CXXFLAGS=-m32 CPPFLAGS=-m32 LDFLAGS=-m32.
The build did indeed generate all 32 bit libs and objects.
However,  waf install fails:
$ sudo ./waf install
[261/321] * cc_link : _build_/default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/collection.os _build_/default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/collparser.os _build_/default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/bindata.os _build_/default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/config.os _build_/default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/ipc.os _build_/default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/medialib.os _build_/default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/playback.os _build_/default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/playlist.os _build_/default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/result.os _build_/default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/stats.os _build_/default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/xmmsclient.os _build_/default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/xform.os _build_/default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/xqueue.os -> _build_/default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/libxmmsclient.so /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible default/src/lib/xmmsipc/libxmmsipc.a when searching for -lxmmsipc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lxmmsipc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Compilation failed

The expansion of the cc_link command (using the -v flag with waf):
/usr/bin/gcc default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/collection.os default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/collparser.os default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/bindata.os default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/config.os default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/ipc.os default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/medialib.os default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/playback.os default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/playlist.os default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/result.os default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/stats.os default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/xmmsclient.os default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/xform.os default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/xqueue.os -o default/src/clients/lib/xmmsclient/libxmmsclient.so -shared -Wl,-h,libxmmsclient.so.4 -Ldefault/src/lib/xmmstypes -Ldefault/src/lib/xmmsutils -Ldefault/src/lib/xmmssocket -Ldefault/src/lib/xmmsipc -Wl,-Bstatic -lxmmsipc -lxmmssocket -lxmmsutils -lxmmstypes -Wl,-Bdynamic /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible default/src/lib/xmmsipc/libxmmsipc.a when searching for -lxmmsipc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lxmmsipc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

So, it seems that in the link phase, waf is ignoring my exported compilation and loader flags.

So, I tried to see if the libxmmsipc.a contains 32 or 64 bit objects:
$ cd _build_/
$ ar t default/src/lib/xmmsipc/libxmmsipc.a
msg.o
socket_tcp.o
transport.o
url.o
socket_unix.o
transport_unix.o
$ ar x default/src/lib/xmmsipc/libxmmsipc.a msg.o
$ file msg.o
msg.o: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

So, it is not clear how to install a 32 bit xmms2 build.

Thanx for your help.

JD

Thomas Orgis wrote:
Am Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:40:43 -0800