Greg Wooledge wrote:
> So, as a first pass, I'm attempting to get this simple functionality
> working in xmms2 -- and it's failing.  I've written a wrapper script
> like this:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> if [[ $1 = --enqueue ]]; then
>   xmms2 addpls "$2"
> else
>   xmms2 clear &&
>   xmms2 stop &&
>   xmms2 addpls "$1" &&
>   xmms2 play
> fi
>
> (I was planning to tweak it later, when I learned more about how xmms2
> playlists work, but I haven't got that far yet.)
>
> There are two problems when I do this.

Yeah this does not work.

The xmms2 client is not synchronous. xmms2 stop will send the stop
command to the server but doesn't block until the server actually has
stopped. That makes scripting like this difficult, and could maybe be
the cause for the playlist disorder as well.

I was discussing this with Daniel and Anders a few weeks ago. I ran
into this already a few years ago and it was one of the issues that
finally made me stop using xmms2 after having fiddled with
workarounds. (The other was buffering issues in the streaming plugin
leading to intermittent lockups, and I almost only do streaming so
that was particularly bad for me.)

Right now I'm using mpd and am pretty happy, although it is by no
means perfect either.

I especially miss how xmms2 translates paths to URLs for the daemon
on the fly. I disapprove of the 'library' concept. I already have a
damn library, it's called a file system.</rant>

//Peter