And the response.

Erik Massop / nesciens

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:40:16 +0200
From: Sivert Berg <sive...@stud.ntnu.no>
To: Erik Massop <e.mas...@hccnet.nl>
Subject: Re: S4 Status Report

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:04:01 +0200
Erik Massop <e.mas...@hccnet.nl> wrote:

> > > You don't accidentally have S4 implemented in Berkeley DB as well?
> >
> > Well, kinda sorta. There is a BDB backend but it's not really up to
> > date. It was mostly to see the difference between BDB and rolling our
> > own, and BDB got quite slow once transactions were tossed into the game.
>
> Did it get slow with multiple simultaneous transactions, or also with a
> single transaction at a time?

I only tried single threaded (one transaction). Most of the time was
spent writing transaction logs to disc.

> And what is the performance if you don't
> use BDB's own transaction management, but instead use the
> database-wide locking which home-grown uses? (Or does BDB not allow
> such do-it-yourself transaction management?)

I tried without transactions first and then it was about 1.5-2x slower
than S4 if I recall correctly. But without transactions I couldn't find
a way to guarantee consistency (we could have used the locking
subsystem to lock it, but I couldn't find a way to make sure the
database is recoverable after a crash without transactions).

--
Sivert Berg