Henrik Gustafsson [2009-10-15 23:55]:

> On Oct 15, 2009, at 11:45 PM, Henrik Gustafsson wrote:
>
> >I think the most backwards compatible solution to do it like with
> >the signal/broadcast commands, adding <id />-tags to the methods
> >and objects. Of course it's more to maintain for each
> >object/command, but I think the only massive work the creation of
> >the initial ids. I made a patch to add just that (applies to
> >ffb6e7e7 of xmms2-tillman.git  on the genipc branch). XML and
> >schema updated, and the xml even validates afterwards :)
>
> No attachments, eh?
>
> http://fnord.se/dump/add_ids.diff

I'm not really convinced that setting IDs explicitly is needed, but if
everyone else thinks this is the right way I'm okay with it.

Some comments on the diff:

+    <xs:simpleType name="signal_id">
+        <xs:restriction base="xs:integer">
+            <xs:minInclusive value="0"/>
+            <xs:maxInclusive value="31"/>
+        </xs:restriction>
+    </xs:simpleType>

I don't think that the upper limit is 31. I think you might have mixed
this up with the number of reserved/special method IDs, which are 0-31.

+    <!-- ID type for methods -->
+    <xs:simpleType name="method_id">
+        <xs:restriction base="xs:integer">
+            <xs:minInclusive value="32"/>
+            <xs:maxInclusive value="2147483647"/>
+        </xs:restriction>
+    </xs:simpleType>

Should we really expose this 0-31-is-black-magic-and-shouldnt-be-used
thing on the IPC description? I think I'd rather see us use IDs
0..2147483615.

Regards,
Tilman