woodsmoke wrote:
> > > Please use the cli client and test Anthony's suggestions. Run
> > > the following in a terminal:
> > >
> > > xmms2 addpls /path/to/a/file.pls
..

> Here is what I did.
>
> I tried addpls and add.
>

> st.pls?rn=6687&file=filename.pls
> [1] 23268
> woodsm...@woodsmokecomputer3:~$.
>  ERROR: We can't handle this type of playlist or URL.
>
> [1]+  Exit 1 xmms2 addpls.
> /http://classic.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=6687.
> woodsm...@woodsmokecomputer3:~$ xmms2 add.
> /http://classic.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=6687&.file=filename.pls
> [1] 23278
> woodsm...@woodsmokecomputer3:~$ Added
> /http://classic.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=6687.

This is a bit of a mess in your email. Either you're posting in HTML
format or your email program is wrapping and reordering lines. Either
way, it is difficult to see exactly what was done here, but a few
things can be observed.

Note that the character '&' (and several others) has very special
meaning in the shell and if you ever want to send a parameter to a
program which includes any of those special characters you must make
sure to properly quote the entire parameter, e.g. using single
quotes.

xmms2 addpls 'http://blabla?bla=bla&bla=bla'

I'm surprised that a distribution developer doesn't know this
already. :) Anyway, read up on special characters, escaping and
quoting in the shell. man bash

Further, I don't think that addpls can handle URLs. In order to do
the test I suggested, you should first download the .pls file so that
it is stored locally in the file system, e.g. in /tmp, and then run:
xmms2 addpls /path/and/name/of/stored/file.pls

As you probably know, all web browsers are doing exactly this in the
background when a .pls link is clicked.

> As you can see I tried addpls and add.

Please try again with proper quoting of the parameters.

> the add seemed to hook up to xmms2.
>  but I didn't know what to do next.
> I requested the help menu,

The output you provided is not really informative since the input
parameter was not quoted.

> and then tried play.
>  but it didn't work.

Note that to issue xmms2 commands you have to use the xmms2 client.
It looks like you typed only play at the prompt, and that happens to
be the name of a completely different program which is part of the
SoX suite. Type xmms2 play in order to issue the xmms2 play command.

> in gxmms2 this was generated in the playlist line:.
>  ERROR: Connection to xmms2d
> was lost.

This could be a different issue. Let's first get some good data from
tests with the command line client.

//Peter