Am 23.09.10, 11:19 +0100 schrieb Richard Hughes:
On 22 September 2010 21:28, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <k...@gmx.de> wrote:

Out of interest, how accurate is the colorspace information you get
from the EDID normally? I know you do an auto-profile in oyranos and I
wondered if typical monitors were accurate, or the EDIDs just get
stuffed with some half-correct (semi-random) values by the vendors.

Manufacturers have typical good colour measurement equipement and appear to put some reasonable colorimetric data inside the EDID. The colorimetric precission is of course rough, given that the gamma curves are represented by just one float value. EDID derived ICC profiles improved the colour corrections in all cases I have seen so far. That is reason enough to use it as fallback.

Obviously DreamColor monitors are pretty accurate, but what about the
bargain basement LCD panels and the non-name LCD screens used in
typical notebooks?

I think they profit the most from the EDID infos, as these customers will very likely not invest money into measuerment devices or get familiar with the related technology. They can get improved colours for web content, photos and movies provided the GPU texture lookup can be activated in their compositing manager.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management www.behrmann.name + www.oyranos.org