Mikhail Gusarov schrieb:
> Twas brillig at 10:07:23 19.10.2010 UTC+02 when wha...@bfs.de did gyre and
> gimble:
>
>  wh> malloc will return (void *) so there is no need to cast.
>  wh> i do not know xmalloc() but i see no check for OOM condition.
>  wh> instead of removing xmalloc() it would be more useful to follow
>  wh> XtMalloc() that has error handling inside.
>
> Sho what's the reasonable error strategy? Shut down the server?
>
> xmalloc is just a funny name for malloc nowadays.

You just run out of mem. What else can you you expect ?
Either you crash with segfault because you are accessing
unrelated memory or you seqfault instandly because you
access NULL. I prefer an errormsg telling the user what the
problem is (OOM) instead let him curse about a sudden crash.

I have seen xmalloc() in several unrelated projekts doing exactly
this: return memory or die. (xcalloc etc. doing the same).

btw:  "follow XtMalloc()" does not mean call "XtMalloc()".
it means return the desired block of mem or do something
useful e.g. report and shutdown graceful or .....

re
 wh