On 3/23/11 7:24 AM, Erkki Seppala wrote:

So what kind of guessing are we talking about here? What is the downside
of removing this initial damage event? The downside with the current
code is that it can lead to some excess work when no damage has
occurred. (I wonder if the behavior can changed, though, if some
applications already depend on it.)

I suspect that the guess, from the client's perspective, is about the actual window geometry at the time the damage was created.

I can easily imagine clients depending on this behaviour at this point, since it means you don't need to manually do a "first run" of your damage handler against the initial window state; you can just let your event loop pick it up naturally. If you're a damage-based vnc screen scraper, that's a feature.

If you have an example where this does cause excess work, it'd be pretty easy to extend the protocol so the damage level argument includes a bit for (not) adding the initial clip.

- ajax