On May 5, 2011, at 4:23 PM, Ville Syrjälä wrote:

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 11:46:45AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
On Mit, 2011-05-04 at 23:51 +0300, Ville Syrjala wrote:
I came to the conclusion that the xserver DRI2 invalidate patches that have been discussed aren't really fixing the problem. I suppose they may make the problem slightly less likely to happen, but at least for me that likelyhood is still very high. The whole mess looks like a simple driver
bug to me.

I think the xserver patches are still necessary, otherwise how are the
cached DRI2 pPriv->buffers updated for other windows sharing the same
pixmap?

As the real front buffers are not handed out to clients, there isn't
that much reason to update them. Making sure the fake front buffer
contain a more recent snapshot of the real front would be one reason
though.

Could it be that your patch fixes a closely related, but different bug? During OpenGL rendering, Mesa/Gallium caches the backbuffer assignment and only queries the current assignment from the x-server if its drawable has been invalidated, which is what the x-server patches do.

I'd also think you will need both patch sets.

-mario