<snip>

Are you considering adding "xrefstyle" with pageabbrev to all xref links?
If so, consider this suggestion to put it in the customization layer.
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200405/msg00121.html
This attribute was meant to override the default in a few instances.

Consider that we might want to change the xrefstyle at later point in time

After looking into it some more and thinking about it, here's what I'm thinking.

External links = olink
internal links = xref

xrefs and olinks, there's a docbook 5 path. It requires some sed-lovin' no matter what we do.

I like that we can style xrefs. Should we, at some point in the future, decide xref is a pain and we'd prefer link, it's sed-able. No great pain.

If no objections, this is the path I'm going,
Matt