On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 09:53:45AM -0500, Timothy Meade wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something, auto detecting if VT switch is needed means
> introducing an inconsistencty. Dummy and evdev can both work without
> allocating a VT, and there are cases where that may be useful, such as
> debugging a server or input driver.

For what it's worth: The reason I introduced HW_SKIP_CONSOLE originally
was to allow the server to run without root privileges when it doesn't
need them. That turns out to be useful for debugging too, but wasn't my
motivation.

I would very much like it if people could continue to run Xorg in
Xnest/Xvfb-like situations without needing extra privileges or magic
flags.

Jamey